Jun 14, 2011

A to Z of Crafts - A = Applique

This is the start of a new series, the A-Z of crafts, will probably aim to do a couple a week. I may get stuck on some letters but we'll have to see how we go.

In its broadest sense an applique is a small ornament or device applied to another surface. The term is borrowed from the French and means "applied" or thing that has been applied". Applique was first 'discovered' when clothes ripped and needed fixing so they used to sew over the top of the rip patches of different material.

In the context of sewing applique refers to a needlework technique in which pieces of fabric, embroidery, or other materials are sewn onto another piece of fabric to create designs, patterns or pictures.

Here are some great examples of Applique work from some members of the BrisStyle team:



3 comments:

BonTons said...

Wow! look forward to see how you get through the alphabet! Thank you for including my snack bag in your Applique edition

Denim Days said...

I adore applique....I spent yesterday with mum at the papercraft and textile show, we saw some fantastic applique there. Lovely post Sharon, I will visit again to see the rest of the alphabet
:) Tracey

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Applique is one of my favourite things to do. I love drawing the picture, choosing the fabrics and doing the stitching.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails